Re: [LAU] Ardour 4 audio export FLAC questions

From: Bent Bisballe Nyeng <deva@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 11 2016 - 13:16:06 EEST

On 09/11/16 11:48, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> My googling did not provide me with sufficient answers, so I'm directing
> my questions here ;-)
>
> I made a 1 hour long project in Ardour that exports as a 635 MB wav-file.
>
> From Ardour the same project exports as a 566 MB FLAC file. However, if
> instead I use SoundConverter to convert the WAV to FLAC, the resulting
> file is 269 MB.

My guess is that SoundConverter decimates the sample value or that the
sample values were decimated during export to wav.
If you run the 'file' command on each of the FLAC files you'll probably
see that the one exported from ardour is 24 bit and the one made with
SoundConverter is 16 bit.

The file you filter through SoundConverter I assume you exported from
Ardour to wav? If that is the case, did you perhaps export to 16 bit
there (CD quality)?

If you export to 24 bit wav or perhaps even float wav from Ardour and
then run the 'flac --best' command on it yourself how big is the
resulting file then?

Kind regards
Bent Bisballe Nyeng