Re: [LAU] Recording in 96K on Linux / Raspberry Pi with Sound Devices USBPre2 Interface

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 09 2016 - 19:17:31 EET

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016, davidkamp wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to built a Raspberry Pi based 96K audio recorder for scheduled
> WAV recordings.
> Has anyone successfully made 96K recordings on PI / Linux with the USBPre2?
> https://www.sounddevices.com/products/portable-audio-tools/usbpre2
> If yes, any experiences on what to watch out for?
>
> The manufacturers could not tell if it will work. In their description it
> only guarantees to work on linux up to 48K.

As they claim plug and play with all platforms with no drivers needed,
there is no reason to assume it would not be fully functional on Linux
too. If you can find a local store that has one, try it in the store with
a laptop. If there is a profesional audio equipment rental place, you may
be able to rent one for a day or two for not too much money. I try to
always buy where I can at least return not working things, but at least I
can try it out in the store. Dragging a pi to the store may not be so easy
or inspire confidence in the sales people that it will not damage their
thing(s) you want to try out. ;)

> Also i'd be interested if anyone had good experiences on Linux / PI with
> other USB Audio Class 2 devices and high sample rates.

The R-pi has only one USB port which it shares via an internal hub with
ethernet. If you are not using ethernet and your control of the system is
via GPIO pins, so that the only thing using USB is the audio IF you may
have stability. I do know there are some tricks to follow for doing audio
on the PI in general. The PI3 does not seem to be any improvemant over the
PI2 in terms of USB... at least the features seems to indicate the USB on
the 3 is the same as on the 2. See:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi
It is written by someone who has actually used USB devices on a PI :)

They use the ethernet ok... so for controlling you may wish to try one of
those numeric-pad only keyboards made to extend the laptop keyboard. Check
your local goodwill store for used keyboards in the 3$ range. A 5inch
touchscreen is another possibility.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net