Re: [LAU] using Jack an interface to ecasound

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 18 2017 - 03:45:56 EET

john gibby wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm having trouble setting up Jack to interface between my digital piano
> > application (pianoteq) and the ecasound audio processing app. I'm using
> > ecasound with Ladspa plugins to create a crossover network. Ecasound
> > splits the 2 pianoteq channels into six (woofer, mid & tweeter), and sends
> > them to my analog outputs through alsa. I have it working, with jack &
> > qjackctl, but the buffer size that jack is presenting to the digital piano
> > app is 1024, about 10x bigger than I want. I would like pianoteq and
> > ecasound to run synchronously with minimal latency. At first I thought I
> > could just call jackd -d ecasound -p 128, but of course ecasound is not
> > one of jack's supported backends. So I've been using the "dummy" backend,
> > and using qjackctl to connect ports from pianoteq to ecasound. That works
> > fine, but I can't manage to configure the buffer size down to 128, even
> > though I start up ecasound with -i jack -b:128

FWIW, from 'man ecasound':

Note that when any JACK input/outputs are used, the buffer
size setting is overridden and set to period/buffer size
reported by JACK server (e.g. jackd’s ’-p’ option). It is
not possible to turn off this behaviour.

> > , and I also go to setup in
> > qjackctl and specify buffer size 128 for "dummy". When qjackctl brings up
> > the jack server, the buffer size gets overridden to 1024; I see the message
> > in the log. What am I doing wrong? Is Jack the wrong approach, when it is
> > ecasound, not jack, that writes to alsa?

Ecasound can connect to both ALSA and JACK devices. I've
used that option in a setup using two soundcards. It is
more common that jackd manages the soundcard. Do you have
any reason not to do so?

HTH,

Joel

> > Thanks very much!