Re: [LAU] Waldorf Blofeld editor

From: Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 21 2017 - 22:43:29 EET

Am 21.02.2017 um 18:26 schrieb Alexandre DENIS:
> Second remark: why PyQt4 and Python 2.7?
> Wouldn't PyQt5 and Python 3.x be more future-proof?

Another thing I noticed is that you seem to be using pyalsa for MIDI
I/O. IMHO that needlessly limits the potential user base of the software.

Might I (not so) humbly suggest, that you take a look at python-rtmidi?

https://spotlightkid.github.io/python-rtmidi/

I created this Python binding to RtMidi specifically for software like
yours, that doesn't have a need for MIDI I/O with sub-microsecond timing
precision and isn't inherently tied to a particular platform.

python-rtmidi supports ALSA on Linux, JACK on Linux and OS X, CoreMIDI
on OS X and Windows (MultMedia System) too. Since you are using a
cross-platform toolkit anyway, I'm sure your editor could easily be made
portable accross these platforms.

But, hey, even if python-rtmidi isn't your thing, it's great to see more
synth editors on Linux!

Cheers, Chris