Re: [LAU] Waldorf Blofeld editor

From: Maurizio Berti <maurizio.berti@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2017 - 01:46:28 EET

> Am 21.02.2017 um 18:26 schrieb Alexandre DENIS:
> > Second remark: why PyQt4 and Python 2.7?
> > Wouldn't PyQt5 and Python 3.x be more future-proof?
>
> Another thing I noticed is that you seem to be using pyalsa for MIDI
> I/O. IMHO that needlessly limits the potential user base of the software.
>
> Might I (not so) humbly suggest, that you take a look at python-rtmidi?

I actually looked into rtmidi a couple of months ago, when I was working on
a custom class for a couple of project I had in mind (an automatic midi
recorder and a midi delay); the result is in the midiutils.py, which
contains both classes for midi events and a Qt class which maps the whole
MIDI graph for ALSA MIDI devices (and JACK in the future).
After looking around for the existing modules, I realized that none of them
was satisfying enough; if I recall correctly, one of the main issues with
rtmidi was that its interface layer was too high for my needs: it doesn't
provide client/port ids, nor port capabilities or port announcement, and it
doesn't support ALSA's hidden/system ports; this can be a problem if you
need callbacks for port creation/deletion. But I may be wrong, it was a
long time ago and I might have not read deep enough in the documentation,
so, please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that this seriously limits the portability in other systems, but
right now my priority is to provide the best "experience" on linux. On the
other hand, my choice for PyQt was also inspired by the fact it's
multiplatform (I used to write in Gtk, but after struggling with it for
months I realized it's a mess), and when I started my work on the
forementioned classes I did that with future portability in mind. So, who
knows...

Thanks anyway for your suggestion!

Maurizio

--
È difficile avere una convinzione precisa quando si parla delle ragioni del
cuore. - "Sostiene Pereira", Antonio Tabucchi