Re: [LAU] Music: Piano/drums improv - archives

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 06 2017 - 19:17:09 EEST

On Sat, 6 May 2017 15:15:14 +0100
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I don't know what it is about your music, but it just doesn't 'work'
> for me at all. This gives me a bit of a dilemma. Do I say nothing -
> and seem to be ignoring you, or try to comment on the technicalities
> - which would be a bit off, as I have only a narrow appreciation of
> other peoples workflows.

This is the dilemma. It is the same here. One sees a post about a
musical creation (or it can be other things), takes a listen, and then
leaves one totally indifferent or barely does something or
instead creates a reaction, a negative reaction.

For a couple of years I have written reviews for a
genre-dedicated fanzine. Mostly of albums, sometimes of concerts. I
have done a few interviews, in person or by long distance call. I
chose the albums but was also given some to review in the same genre.
And there were albums that I did not care much for initially. So the
first thing I did is to get a listening mind that is more open.

The difference between having to write reviews and a mailing list or a
forum is the 'having to' part of it. Which is good I find, because it
forces to stretch a bit. However, this does not exist in the mailing
lists or forums. Indeed, what does one owe to anybody else in such
contexts ? Nothing. You are free. It is a collection of free
entities that communicates between themselves. If this is not the case
then there is probably too much ego involved.

In other words, what's wrong with not saying anything ? Why would one
feel that this is wrong ? This is the real question in there that
should be faced if one wants to know more about it.

And as you may have noticed, I do not comment much on your music :)

Cheers.