[linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] What do we need now ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] What do we need now ?
From: Dr. Nick Fells (nick_AT_music.gla.ac.uk)
Date: ti heinä  27 1999 - 11:56:13 EDT

Dear all,

> So what do you think we need ? More organization ? Does anyone else
>feel that there might be too much re-invention of the wheel ? Can we
>coordinate efforts in some better ways ? Let's put it to ourselves: what
>software do we need and how shall we go about getting it ?

Yep, I would say a more organised/coordinated approach (not that I know that much about it, I have to say: I'm an eager linux sound user, being an electroacoustic composer who unfortunately has to resort to W*****ws on a regular basis. I would like Linux audio to run more smoothly, to have better applications etc...but I'm not an established developer by any means). I would think the establishment of a recognised linux audio users/developers group might have some effect here. Such a group could coordinate development/testing/evaluation tasks, lobby hardware manufacturers, stress test kernel releases and work on solutions to latency problems etc...and would have more clout than individuals. Forgive me if such a group exists and I've just slipped on a banana skin. It just seems there are so many smallish development efforts going, when what's lacking are apps which have the reliability/flexibility/comprehensiveness of software like CEPro and Cubase (just to be clear, I use mainly Csound, which seems to be deve
loping apace in the linux realm).

Nick

---
Dr Nick Fells,
Music Department,
University of Glasgow,			Tel: +44 (0) 141-330 5509/6065
Glasgow G12 8QQ				Fax: +44 (0) 141-330 3518
UK.							http://www.music.gla.ac.uk/~nick