Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file library comments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file library comments
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: ti elo    17 1999 - 18:29:58 EDT

Nicola Bernardini wrote:

> Well, Erik just said he never used C++ and does'nt particularly want to.
> So *here* is a nice collaborative project: *you* do libsndfile++,
> a C++ wrapper around Erik's library. How about it? I think *this* is
> the way of cooperating to get a really nice product: each one of us
> puts in whatever she/he likes best...

I agree completely. A C++ wrapper around libsndfile would be a good
idea and I think it should be written by someone who is a more staunch
advocate of C++ than me. Once done, it would mean that nobody ever bugs
me about a C++ interface to libsndfile :-).

I do however use C++ where C++ has definite, undeniable advantages over C
(like when I need templates or operator overloading), but for most of my
own projects I usually don't need the extra features and find C easier to
work with. Hopefully this won't start some HTTNSTE (huge thread that never
seems to end (tm)) like it did in some of the Linux newsgroups recently.

Maurizio's ideas for features like channel splitting are also worth
pursuing after the rest of the functionality is tied down. I remember
some past correspondance with Maurizio where I stated I wasn't too
keen on adding sample rate convert to libsndfile. I am now actively
working on it, so I think just about anything is possible.

Ciao,
Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
"Remember that the P in Perl stands for Practical.  The
P in Python doesn't seem to stand for anything."
 --Randal Schwartz in <8cemsabtef.fsf_AT_gadget.cscaper.com>