[linux-audio-dev] powerpc/g4

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] powerpc/g4
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ti loka   05 1999 - 17:02:09 EDT

Paul Barton-Davis discourseth:
> >Sometimes I wonder how Linux is running G4 PowerMacs.
>
> You're not the only one :) OTOH, its not clear to what extent there is
> any plan to offer SMP motherboards or support for the G4. Also, Benno
> pointed me at the AMD K7 (Athlon) which looks like it should be able
> to match the G4 *and* will have SMP motherboards available RSN. The
> price is right, too.

i'm excited about both!

g4 has the altivec simd unit which has 32 128-bit registers and a
beautiful instruction set. 3dnow on the athlon, otoh, is virtually
broken..i haven't heard whether amd has plans to fix this

also, i'd bet money that there will be some interesting powerpc
hardware alternatives next year..check out www.totalimpact.com, for
example

Eric