Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: la helmi  05 2000 - 10:25:34 EST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> is anyone out there seriously working on a professional-level
> soundfile editor for linux ? by "pro", i mean able to handle:
>
> * each track in its own file (i.e. non-interleaved)
> * multi-GB files
> * 24+ track
> * 48/96kHz sample rates

I'd like to say "Broadcast 2000", but I'm having some problems with it
(could be my hardware though). And I really don't know if it can handle
the higher sampling rates.

> i ask because there is no currently no application i can find that can
> deal with these parameters in a robust way.

Could GramoFile be used as a basis ? Its Web page informs us that it can
handle
"...large sound files up to a few GB".

> Snd is close, but without
> a "real" Motif, several aspects of its GUI are either unusable (the
> listener) or unstable (many general Motif-related errors), or
> both.

Just to clarify: a quick fix to LessTif makes the Listener usable, but
yes, generally it seems that LessTif is an Achilles' heel for Snd.

> If nothing else, perhaps several of us could join together and port
> Snd to GTK+.

This would be good to see. Snd is very powerful, but I think of it as a
programmer's soundfile editor, i.e., a lot of its power comes from the
possibilties in the Listener (which means you need to know some LISP).

> the current situation is really pretty pathetic, although it can
> change rapidly, and is hardly a suprise when until recently, there was
> no "pro" level audio h/w available for linux.

Paul, I just want to add my thanks and congratulations for the work
you've been doing. The same goes to all LAD members who have done so
much to raise the quality of Linux audio software. If anyone thinks the
current situation is really bad, just think back two years. Also, I note
that pro-audio support is coming to Linux *much* faster than it reached
the DOS/Windoze world, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Ain't Linux grand ?!

== Dave Phillips

       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/