[linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 21:18:34 EEST

>From: Erik Steffl <esteffl_AT_pbi.net>
>
>> > That Linux audio distribution would be very handy now!
>
> debian already has failly useful system of dependencies etc. why not
>simply use it, instead of creating new distro?

That was my plan too. I prefer Debian over RedHat.
The difference would be that we would maintain it independently of
Debian. That way we could get more frequent releases.

One problem is that some old software don't compile with newer libraries.
In Debian those software goes to orphaned and whatever section. We would
keep old libraries available for those programs. As old as needed.
We could keep that kind of stuff in separate place than in standard
Debian directories. We could even maintain identical directories
in debian and RedHat, and therefore a RedHat package doesn't mess Debian
when opened there. I have heard people have messed their Linux this way.

Juhana