[linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui vs. libvstgui

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui vs. libvstgui
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 16:45:58 EET

For reference purposes, here is a list of the control objects in
libvstgui, and my notes about them:

COnOffButton : handled by XML
CParamDisplay : handled by XML
CTextEdit : not present
COptionMenu : not present
CKnob : handled by XML
CAnimKnob : handled by XML
CVerticalSwitch : not explicitly handled
CHorizontalSwitch : not explicitly handled
CRockerSwitch : not explicitly handled
CMovieBitmap : handled by XML
CMovieButton : handled by XML
CAutoAnimation : not explicitly handled
CVerticalSlider : handled by XML
CHorizontalSlider : handled by XML
CSpecialDigit : not present
CKickButton : not explicitly handled
CSplashScreen : not present
CVuMeter : handled by XML

Of the items marked "not present", I lean toward supporting a "text
edit" field and an option menu. However, the "option-menu" is
implicitly handled by our pushbutton object, which can encode any
number of states for a plugin control value and can display those
states in various ways. So that leaves "text edit". Do we want to add
this ? Since LADSPA has only numeric parameters at this time, it seems
worthless.

The items marked "not explicitly handled" refer to things that can be
done with the current XML spec, more or less, without adding specific
elements for them. For example, the rocker switch is really just a
pushbutton with a specific set of 3 pixmaps to go with it, and
likewise for the KickButton and other switches.

The CKnob object is a little different from my proposed implementation
of a default knob, but it doesn't really matter very much. in
libvstgui, the CKnob is defined by a background and a handle which is
successively drawn on a circular arc.

This list makes me feel pretty good. We should have most of the
functionality we want for a non-native GUI.

Comments, please.

--p