Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui vs. libvstgui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui vs. libvstgui
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 19:43:31 EET

>> COptionMenu : not present
>
>Is this like a dropdown box of options? If so it would be useful for, say
>picking an impulse from a list of files, stat'd at runtime.

1) the GUI can't do that - thats an internal detail for the plugin,
     and the two don't meet in the XML gui design.
2) LADSPA can't use a filename (ports are all LADSPA_Data)
3) if somehow there really was a list, you can use

   <pushbutton port=33>
   <state value=0 text="First Choice">
   <state value=2 text="Second Choice">
   <state value=99 text="Last Choice">
   </pushbutton>

and you'll get a button whose "label" changes as you click through
it. Arguably not perfect though, especially if there are many
choices.

>> CAutoAnimation : not explicitly handled
>> CSpecialDigit : not present
>> CKickButton : not explicitly handled
>
>What do these do?

The autoanimation is essentially a circular set of pixmaps. each time
you click on it, it moves to the next one in the circle.

specialdigit, this is a set of pixmaps that display digits. you supply
N pixmaps, presumably 10 (0..9), and its draw() method uses them to
display the value of the parameter.

the kickbutton is really just a no-toggle-button.the docs say:

    Define a button with 2 states using 2 subpixmaps. One click on it,
    then the second subpixmap is displayed. When the mouse button is
    relaxed, the first subpixmap is framed.

>The one thing that would make the XML stuff much better is a way of
>drawing simple transfer functions, but I can't think of any way of doing
>it without using a really evil hack, or modifying ladspa.h. I guess its
>better left to native GUIs.

It would be easy to do, but I can't see any way to pass the data to a
plugin given that typeof(port) = LADSPA_Data *.

--p