Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 01:35:35 EET

"Richard C. Burnett" wrote:

> The problem with vectors though is you loose the pixmap stuff, unless you
> scaled the pixmaps like xmms (yuck). One thing I was wondering, a while
> back there was lots of experimentation with fractals on images where they
> were originally blocky because of upsizing. Anyone seen anything on
> this. The examples I saw were great.

  my idea is that it would be host that would do the actual drawing of
the GUI elements, so unless the plugin explicitly specifies pixmap, no
pixmap is used. Most of the GUI elements would be specified by
parameters only (size, fontas to use etc...), no pixmaps.

  I have heard a lot about research of fractal compression and there are
some programs that do it, but I am not aware of any free tool. For some
reason it is not very popular (= I know close to nothing about it:-).
AFAIK it requires a LOT of CPU power to compress images, but not too
much for uncompressing (comparable or less than other compressing
algorithms).

> I don't like the idea of multiple interfaces, but what about parameter

  since the plugin and interface definition are separate there is no way
you can say (enforce) that the plugin should only have one interface.
Even end user can create/edit XML and change the interface. While we're
at it, the definition of a plugin should probably specify default XML
filename to use but it should work with any, or in other words, the XML
is provided by host and plugin doesn't even know about it.

> sets. You could group parameters into named groups, and then within the
> plugin GUI can select which sets you want to see. For instance, the
> default being 'standard' then have other portions that can be turned on
> or off like 'advanced' 'experimental' that way things can be organized in
> some way. There way already be stuff for this, but I like control groups
> for organizational purposes. Maybe I am missing the point altogether :)
>
> Can someone explaing how XML is used? Is it like HTML where the developer
> of the plugin writes .XML code to describe a basic interface and then the
> application loads the plugin and uses the XML info to make a GUI for it?

  check the freeamp, I like their theme/skin concept. the freeamp
provides cartain functionality which can be used in XML, like play,
volume, playlist etc... each of these can be controlled by GUI element
that is defined in XML - bitmaps to use, position within window (even
the main window size/shape) etc... I think that it would be useful to be
able to define these without any specific bitmaps, just by parameters,
leave it up to host how to draw them. The bitmaps can be specified
though...

  for example button would be defined by position, label etc..., bitmaps
for different states would be optional.

  resize: if bitmap is used, it can be: tiled/trimmed as need or resized
(or something else), the specific action should be one of the
parameters.

        erik