Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 05:39:25 EET

On Friday 08 December 2000 00:45, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > I would love to have everything resizeable, I just hate apps
> > like xmms that is basically unviewable on my monitor (1280x1024,
> > 15 inch), when I double the size it looks ugly...
> >
> > it would be nice to have most of the default gui elements
> > resizeable (vectors instead of pixmaps) - buttons, knobs, scroll
> > bars & sliders etc...
>
> vectors aren't going to fly with me. you cannot do a decent knob
> with vector graphics without significant computational overhead.

Off-line rendering? (Similar to procedural textures in 3D programming
- usually done in a separa thread, at a rate significantly lower than
the main engine frame rate.)

Anyway, with or without off-line rendering, this is not exactly
trivial stuff, if it's going to look nice, especially not if it's
going to be themable.

> so you won't be able to resize if a host is using a backend that i
> write. however, you will be able to use a different set of basic
> pixmaps with the backend, so that if you are working on a small
> monitor, things are more reasonably sized. this needs to apply to
> bit depth too, though i'm not sure how much variation there is
> these days.

Store 24 bit images and dither them down to whatever the screen
format is. That's how the majority of games do it, whether they're
2D, 3D, using OpenGL, Direct3D, DirectDraw, Xlib, SDL, svgalib or
whatever - it all works in very similar ways.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'