Re: [linux-audio-dev] AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 13:13:35 EET

> although the format hasn't been totally described, enough has been
> reverse engineered to get usuable data. i did a program along while ago
> to read akai format cdroms. it's at http://abrowse.sourceforge.net/

Wow, cool. I had earlier done a search for "akai" at SourceForge, but
nothing interesting came up. It seems their search engine only looks
at project names and descriptions. Since "abrowse" doesn't have "akai"
in it, and there was no description for the project, it didn't show up.
(Very stealthy. ;)

> but not much has been happening with it of late (i think it will still compile
> against recent gtk headers).

I just downloaded the source and forget about compiling it,
the executable runs on my RH 6.1 system! Oh, and it compiles with
no errors, too.

However ...

When I run it, it is able to find all the partitions and programs
on the disc, but when I click on a program, nothing happens in
the right-side window pane.

I got this behavior for the first 3 discs I tried, and then the
4th worked.

There is no documentation with the source ... am I doing something
wrong, is it time to do some debugging, or ... ?

> Most of this format was already described by
> another person whose name unfortunately escapes me.

If it ever pops up, it would be an extremely valuable piece of
information for me.

> personally i wouldn't waste alot of time with the company.

I enjoy wasting time. :) If nothing else, at least I will give
someone there something to think about.

- Jay Ts