[linux-audio-dev] RE: [Linux-audio-dev] Re: Gigasampler Clone

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RE: [Linux-audio-dev] Re: Gigasampler Clone
From: Garth Brantley (garth_AT_fullduplex.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 17:12:45 EEST

Richard,
    Your gigasampler clone idea is something I have been toying with in the
back of my mind. I think one the main successes of GigaSampler is the
willingness of sound designers to produce commercial sound libraries. More
than anything I would say the ease of working with Gigasampler is the key
factor here. I also think that a virtual sampler on Linux could be very
useful in moving pro musicians over the Linux platform. However musicians
are interested in the sound libraries available for a particular sampler. I
would propose a 3 tiered approach:

1. A well designed file format for the Keymaps/Programs (an open version of
the .Gig format)

2. An engine for midi based sample playback (i.e. the gigasampler clone)

3. A utility for laying out Keymaps/Programs & converting them to a variety
of formats (for hardware sampler & soft samplers)

    Part 1 would have to be a group effort. We may even want to try to
include some commercial sound designers in the debate. Part 2 I would not
be much help on. Part 3 I would be interested in undertaking. I think a
well designed user interface for sound design would go a long way to making
the project a success and I believe I could provide that.

 -Garth

PS - I am currently working on releasing a piano sample library.

 -Garth