Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 14:50:33 EEST

Jay Ts wrote:
> Tom wrote:

>> and generally avoiding anything that might cause the OS to become
>> too busy while we are actually recording.
>
> That pretty much describes why I'd rather be using Linux than either Mac
> or Windows. ;-) Really, I can't believe how many Mac users have told me
> that it's ok for the system to crash, because they can just reboot! Apple
> or Apple culture apparently has conditioned them to accept frequent rebooting
> as the Apple Way of Life.

"It is not necessary to blow someone else's candle out to make your own
shine brighter"

If Linux could deliver what MacOS *does right now* and *has being doing for
two or three years* in my studio - I'd use it - and I'm doing my best to
work towards achieving that.

Knocking a good current working solution is not a way of achieving anything
- better to look at its good points and try and incorporate them in what we
are doing with Linux.

It is simply rubbish to say that "frequent re-boots are a way of life" for
Apple users. Maybe several years ago it was true... but not since 8.1.x

It is *not acceptable* in the studio to have a reboots/dropouts or whatever
on any kind of regular basis - the musicians are there to play music *not*
computer hacking.

Iain.