Re: [linux-audio-dev] orphans

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] orphans
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 21:09:43 EEST

Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> > BTW, although the interface is somewhat weird (way too many
> > windows!),
>
> I'm always open to better ideas -- send me some sketch of
> what you think the interface should be. (I am not married
> to the current GUI -- I was just re-implementing my old
> DpySnd, an editor written back before there were windows;
> pointing devices were shaped like pens).

Bill, while I appreciate your openness, I was talking about DAP.
When using DAP it's easy to end up with 5 or 6 windows all over the
screen just for doing pretty simple stuff.
Screenshot for example at:
http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~richardk/DAP.gif
In particular I can't figure out why "Zoom" and "Play" get separate
windows. I think they'd be better handled by menu items with
keyboard shortcuts.

But I still use DAP for three things I haven't found in Snd:

1) Comprehensive loop editing

2) Some nice DSP effects (although some interfaces are weird - I
hate trying to set a filter at 60 Hz when there's only a linear
slider from 0 to 20Khz!) There are some not-bad reverbs in there,
which seem to be hard to find in Linux apps.

3) Edit "pencil" for hand-drawing waveforms. Sometimes this is a fun
gimmick, occasionally it's a lifesaver. I would love it if Snd had
this.

In regard to swiping DSP effects from DAP: Dave remembered correctly
that

> DAP's DSP functions were lifted from another DSP toolkit, I'll try to
> locate that package for you (or anyone else wanting to use it).

I looked at the THANKS file that comes with DAP, and it says the DSP
stuff is based on
  "...SPKit, an object-oriented class
  library for signal processing. The DSP operations within
  DAP were heavily based on this toolkit although I have
  developed the DAP SPKit extensively beyond that provided
  by the original SPKit.
  Browse to http://www.music.helsinki.fi/research/spkit/index.html "

So it looks like it's C++.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo