Re: [linux-audio-dev] orphans

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] orphans
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 03:48:13 EEST

>From: Paul Winkler <slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com>
>
>I looked at the THANKS file that comes with DAP, and it says the DSP
>stuff is based on
> "...SPKit, an object-oriented class
> library for signal processing. The DSP operations within
> DAP were heavily based on this toolkit although I have
> developed the DAP SPKit extensively beyond that provided
> by the original SPKit.
> Browse to http://www.music.helsinki.fi/research/spkit/index.html "

If you compared the original SPKit and the one in DAP, the changes
are merely copyright rip-offs.

There's nothing which justify the removing of Kai's copyright notices.

Imagine if I take Quasimodo, make a couple modifications, and change
all copyright notices. And then write: ...based on Quasimodo...

Kai was angry about the code stealing, but I wonder if he ever sued
the thief.

So, if you plan to use even a single line from existing software, make
the gredits right. If you need trivial modifications, talk to author.

I know many cases where a few line of code is a product of weeks of
thinking and hard work. This is like the patented ideas: they look trivial
after you have seen them. (I'm not expert on cookies but even Amazon
one-click patent looks justified --- what happened to that patent anyway?)

Another way would be to write your own code from scratch. At the moment
I'm writing a resampler based on ideal interpolation filter. Both Smith
(resample) and Dolson (srconvert) have made code for such resampler but
I'm not copying them and lending code, because I know I can get the
equivalent stuff from books and by hard thinking.

Juhana