Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alternate MIDI controller idea (patent fodder?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alternate MIDI controller idea (patent fodder?)
From: David Slomin (david.slomin_AT_av.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 00:12:27 EEST

maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es wrote:

> Have a look at
> http://www.hku.nl/~pieter/HARD/FSR/FSR.html

This is by far the most ambitious all-in-one (as opposed to
Infusion's building block approach) FSR system I've seen. Yet it
still suffers from the "where was I" problem I was addressing.

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> yeah, but STEIM don't sell their stuff. these guys do:
> http://www.infusionsystems.com/products/

I actually got to use these at school. They're rather fun, and
maybe the best approach for a hobbyist, since they leave many of
the design decisions up to you, but don't require you to create
everything from scratch. I wonder if their design would support
my virtual nib idea.

monty wrote:

> have you played with a korg kaospad ?
> http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=KAOSSPAD

This looks pretty fun too. I personally am much better at
interfaces which make you move your hands in a single dimension
than in two. I'm most at home with piano (linear along the keys),
and fairly happy with violin and guitar (linear along the neck),
flute, trumpet, and recorder (linear down the pipe). I'm terrible
at theremin (which requires three dimensional hand motions),
although I do try.

I've played with things similar to the Kaospad implemented
with generic touchpads and mice, but have never produced anything
musical. I wonder if this is true of musicians in general;
I'm having trouble thinking of any examples of musical instruments
other than the notoriously difficult theremin that have
multidimensional interfaces. Drum kit and harp?

Div.