[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 23:42:11 EEST

>From: Jeremy A Erwin <jerwin_AT_osf1.gmu.edu>
>
>4. I aquire a binary copy of your driver-- (false, but binary drivers are
>installed with many distributions-- such as redhat)
>It then follows that the sound coming out of my headphones at maximum
>level is too soft for my enjoyment.

The default could be in module config as suggested elsewhere and you can
increase it afterwards. I feel it is important to put the default to
some reasonable, non-damaging value.

>Now, let assume that I use earbuds which produce a higher Sound Pressure
>Level than do your Seinheiser's. The artificial maximum will blow my
>eardrums out, when I listen to the 1712 overture. Oops...

Should we then put the default limit to even lower value than %50?

We should have a configuration tool for Alsa which starts from the volume
level 0. It would be part of the installation.

Juhana