[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 00:11:46 EEST

>From: Andy Lo A Foe <andy_AT_alsa-project.org>

>Seriously, if you can figure out what the "best" settings are for my setup
>so I don't injure myself in the process of listening to audio *in
>software only* I would be quite interested in the idea.

You have to find it yourself when you install Alsa.
The guides can help you by motivating why you should not turn the level
to maximum. All this depends on the hardware setup and the guide could
give a few common examples.

There are two different questions here:

1. Do we want the maximum volume limiters to Alsa? (In conf.modules.)

2. Do we want the defaults be different from the existing situation?

I say "yes" to 1 --- and 1 is only a technical issue. It doesn't affect to
you if 2 is answered "no".

It really doesn't matter what happens with 2(*) because with 1 I can do
with my Alsa what I want, and can offer the same safety in my audio
software.

(*) It matters, I really hope people don't get ears damaged.

Juhana