Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!
From: Andre Pang (andrep-ml_AT_vjolnir.org)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 03:02:13 EEST

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 12:40:13AM +0200, Andy Lo A Foe wrote:

> Things are safe as they are right now. How about popping up dialog boxes
> each time you notch up the volume? "Are you absolutely sure you wany to
> set it this high? It might damage your hearing!!?? [Yes/no]" ;-)

    hey, maybe we should have the driver detect if there are too many
low-frequency waves being emitted and warn the user that they're going to
blow their speakers...

    or we could also add a feature to those drivers for soundcards which
support 96KHz output and have very high quality DACs to detect for extremely
high frequency waves and pop up a dialog box saying "WARNING! Extremely
high-frequency noises detected; if you have a dog, please move them more
than 50 metres (150 feet) away from your sound source or they might
whimper/get horny." of course, you'd vary the 50 metre figure depending on
the number of high-frequency waves emitted and their amplitude. anybody
want to do some research on this and implement it in the general snd driver?

    sheesh.

    (note: this wasn't a flame at you, Andy :)

--
: Andre Pang <andrep_AT_vjolnir.org>  -  #ozone  -  ph# 0411.882299 :
:              ...[ = trust in love to save = ]...               :