[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 15:56:07 EEST

>From: Andy Lo A Foe <andy_AT_alsa-project.org>
>
>Good, so why do we need extra software instructions? The thing is, I fail
>to see how this will help prevent someone from damaging their hearing.
>I mean, what did you do when your headphone started blasting away at
>MAX? Right, you yanked it from your head. Problem solved! Lesson learned!

It works because by default you cannot raise the levels to damaging levels.

Lucky me, I noticed the thing when I read the source code. I would not
hear anything today if I would have been unlucky. I can hear the headphones
to the next room when they are at maximum.

It is not a lesson to learn. This is about safety. Why should people
learn about bad design by experimentation?

>> 1. Do we want the maximum volume limiters to Alsa? (In conf.modules.)
>
>I would vote No right now, since IMHO it doesn't add *anything*. In fact
>it will probably just complicate the ALSA install procedure.

It may not add to your system. In my system it forbits any software
to alter volumes beyond __what I want__.

>Things are safe as they are right now.

You're welcome to my house and listen to my headphones when I turn
my SoundBlaster to its highest quality sound, to maximum S/N ratio.
(You won't care about S/N issues after that, ever, read about Tinnitus.)

Juhana