Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 17:42:39 EET

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 09:34:28AM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >What do people actually want?
>
> Well, I could most use:
>
> * mono versions of all the delays

Easy. I nearly have an unbounded fractioanlly addressed one working, I
think I just need to make it interpolate correctly (its linear at the
moment, so it sounds horrible). FIR[1] ones are trivial but they
have (IMVHO) undesirable pitch characteristics when modulating them.

Delays are one of the things I use most (too much) and I'm a bit fussy
about them.

[1] The obvious one read, one write pointer imlementation, easy to write
and interpolate, but hard limited in maximum length (time).

> * pitch shifter
> * harmonizer (really just N pitch shifters)

These are quite hard on general purpose CPU's, but I have the info
needed. I vaguely remeber an implementation with ring modulators and
90deg phase shifts which might be faster though.

> * a generic dynamics processor

Agreed (esp. your comment below) my mixing desk has this (ie. compressor
= expander = limiter = ducker(I think)) and they are just presets.

However I would find it hard to use them without the transfer function being
graphicaly displayed, and LADSPA doesn't offer that yet, so I didn't want
to start one.

> * noise reduction

No idea how to do that, I'll look for some papers on it, but my
understanding is that it's CPU heavy.

> On the farther-off wishlist:
>
> * ring modulator

Done it, both two input, one output (untested, cos I don't have host that
will run it, but its not exactly complicated) and one input one output
with LFOs.

> * resonator(s)

I don't know what one is, but there are a lot of papers on them about.

> and finally, something like those "unclassifiable" TDM plugins whose
> name i don't recall but just do *wierd* stuff to the signal in really
> acoustically and musically interesting ways.

I've never used protools, but this sounds like my kind of thing :)
Examples (for things I havn't seen before) welcome.

I keep getting the feeling that I need to learn c++, the quantity of VST
plugins out there, and the possiblity of running recompiled VST plugins
on linux makes VST a tempting target, without having to add graphical
interface stuff to LADSPA.

- Steve