Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 17:54:35 EET

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 12:50:38PM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >
> > > As far as I am concerned, this is a broken model. Plugins should use
> > > ONE standard data type.
>
> Heah hear, and I'm, not just saying that to be lazy ;)
>
> I would argue for MIDI streams (preparsed or not) though. Given a UI you
> could easily make a synth out of LADSPA.

I believe the best thing is to keep LADSPA simple thus not integrating this
synth & co stuff.
I like David Olofson's quotes:
"LADSPA is VST1.0 done right, MAIA will be VST2.0 done right".

It is not about non-linear stuff etc, it's about providing flexiblity:
As David pointed out , by offering multiple datatypes (in MAIA),
games will be able to use their preffered datatype (eg 16bit integers)
and will still be able to acess the virtual studio API.
(eg one might want to record the sound of his game directly to disk,
along with some background music .
This is only a stupid example but the multiple datatype thing will become
handy in some cases, and as said those that do not need it will use
LADSPA because it is _S_imple.

Benno.