Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 16:48:21 EET

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 04:54:35PM +0100, Benno Senoner wrote:
> > I would argue for MIDI streams (preparsed or not) though. Given a UI you
> > could easily make a synth out of LADSPA.
>
> I believe the best thing is to keep LADSPA simple thus not integrating this
> synth & co stuff.
> I like David Olofson's quotes:
> "LADSPA is VST1.0 done right, MAIA will be VST2.0 done right".

OK, fair enough, but there is a certain "lets redo the API and get it even
righter this time" attitude (with appologies for the english).
Sophisticated API's are great, but actual working code people can use
/now/ is great too.

LADSPA has the advantage, on top of all the obvious ones, of existing.

> It is not about non-linear stuff etc, it's about providing flexiblity:
> As David pointed out , by offering multiple datatypes (in MAIA),
> games will be able to use their preffered datatype (eg 16bit integers)
> and will still be able to acess the virtual studio API.
> (eg one might want to record the sound of his game directly to disk,
> along with some background music .

Is this really neccesary? For audio streams? It seams to me that the host
should be responsible for ensuring its data is in a form the plugin
wants, and providing loads of plugins, all with different input and
output stream formats seems pointless.

Who apart from games developers is using anything but floats? For input
parameters and streams I can see why you want it, but not for data.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, I just can't think of a reason for it, and
lots against it.

> This is only a stupid example but the multiple datatype thing will become
> handy in some cases, and as said those that do not need it will use
> LADSPA because it is _S_imple.

But anyone who want to use any 'advanced' features, like MIDI of all
things, is lumbered with the multiple formats and whatever else is
in there.

- Steve