Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml .. licensing issues ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml .. licensing issues ...
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 16:28:48 EET

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 04:38:58AM -0800, David Benson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 09:33:22PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > > the proposal, back in march or whenever, was to add:
> > >
> > > const char *(*xml_gui_description)();
> > >
> > > to the plugin API, and allow that it could be NULL if the plugin
> > > author chose not to supply a spec for the GUI in this way.
> >
> > Much better. I can defualt it to loading foo.xml, as long as I can find
> > what directory my .so file is in.
>
> Actually, it seems like it's the hosts responsibility
> to look for a file on the file system (in particular,
> i'd prefer these files could be in separate dirs -- for standards
> compliance it is a must since one is arch-dependent and the other
> arch-independent.)

True, it should be in share/something. Probably best to just forget this,
I can just build the function to return the string at compile time. Will
make the .so bigger, but I don't think that's a disater.

> That is, i'd leave get_xml == NULL in this case
> and have the host-specification talk about this.
>
> Perhaps we could have a way of indicating that a
> plugin comes "bundled" with some xml, so that the host
> could print a more informed error message.

You need an easy way to ensure unique filenames, I've been calling
my plugins <name>_<idnum>.so, cos everyone writes an amp.so or two ;)

You do need somewhere to install any custom graphics though, and
namespace clashes there are nearly as bad.

> > Hints at the possiblity of dynamic/multiple interfaces too, depending on
> > when xml_gui_description() is called.
> >
> > if (getenv("RUNNING_IN_ARDOUR")) {
> > return ardour_lookalike_gui;
> > } else {
> > return other_thing;
> > }
>
> Hmm. Usually we complete the standard before
> making incompatible extensions to it :)

Sorry, getting impatient ;)

It isn't an extension to the the standard though, its just default behaviour
modification. I can't seen any obvious problems with this type of thing,
as long as the default graphics were stored somewhere consustant.

- Steve