Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distribution revisited]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distribution revisited]
From: John Littler (linuxmusic_AT_crosswinds.net)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 03:16:09 EEST

darn, I sent a reply to this to Benno instead of
the list ... apologies to Benno for any word
differences here

Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net> writes:

> I still do not get the "audio distro" point ...
>
> I think everyone with a bit of a brain agrees that maintaining a WHOLE distro is
> a HUGE task, (and even big corporations like Redhat seems to be in trouble
> sometimes)
[added to list posting]
most big projects start with a guy or two and what they
think is a good idea. This one's no different.

> thus the only remaining viable way is to use an existing one and
> provide audio-distro "add-ons". (eg one single big package or several smaller
> ones).

... which is in fact what we're doing for stage one

> I think for an audio distro one of the key issues is EASE OF USE (for the
> Desktop), and I think Mandrake is perhaps one of the best out here.
>
> What's missing for the audio distro, are packages which need to be very
> easy to install, and that add the audio stuffs.
> ( low-latency kernel , proper drivers (like ALSA), some autodetection tools,
> middleware (eg soundservers), all kinds of sopensource audio software, documentaton
> etc etc)
>
> Then repackage all the audio packages for different distros
> (RPMs and DEBs would cover almost the whole linux distros).
> Of course we can build an "audio distro",
> but that will be nothing more than let's say a Mandrake CD with the
> audio packages on it (with a modified installer which allows to install them
> (or installs them by default) during the installation process).

'nothing more' is actually a big deal to those who've
struggled to collect and compile audio apps and their
needed libraries

> Then make an ISO image and make it available to download.
> I'm sure that within short time Cheapbytes-like stores would sell them.
> Or alternatively you could sell the CDs along with a printed manual/book which
> covers the audio related stuff.
> (And the funds would of course go to the linux-audio-dev project :-) )

[added to list posting]
we will be selling our CDs commercially. This will help
put a roof over a few programmer's heads hopefully and
also help with various OS projects.

> If you agree or disagree with my points let me know
>
> Benno.

I think we agree about more things than we disagree
Cheers
John

--

http://linuxmusic.cjb.net pgp public key @ http://www.crosswinds.net/~linuxmusic/pubring.html