Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAD home page

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAD home page
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 10:16:35 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
> >> It might be a good idea to connect the various audio sites more closely to
> >> each other. LAD home page, Dave's pages, l-m-station, www.ladspa.org,
> > a nice linux audio webring comes to mind. (graphics anyone ?)
>
> Hmm, I think OSDN-like grouping would be better than a normal webring. So
> there would only be direct links to the big sites, not to any invidual app
> home pages. This is mainly to emphasize the openness of the community. If
> we advertise applications made by active LAD members, new people working
> on similar type of sw might find this unfair.

agreed.

> I guess the most popular "entry points" to Linux audio today are kernel
> sound drivers, ALSA, OSS, possibly desktop specific audio apps (GNOME,
> KDE), etc ... all these give a slightly limited/partial view of Linux
> audio. It would be good if people found their way to Dave's pages,
> l-m-station, LAD, and other "neutral" sites as quickly as possible.
>
> To continue with my OSDN example, you know that by following Slashdot,
> Freshmeat and few Linux*.com/org sites you won't miss anything essential.
> You don't get all the information, but it's very unlikely that some big
> news goes unnoticed.

at the risk of being stupid - what does OSDN stand for ? i have
recently had to swap out large parts of my acronym cache.

could you point me to a URL that does the "webring" thing exactly
the way you are suggesting ? i'm not 100% sure i know what you
mean.

> In the same way, I'd like the central Linux audio sites to have this kind
> of coverage. By following these few sites, you wouldn't miss anything
> important that is happening in the community. And to achieve this,
> co-operation is definitely needed. Not necessarily that much work. This is
> just one of those things that has to be said aloud, and kept fresh in
> memory.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany