Re: [linux-audio-dev] new LAD host ? [was:Re: lad archive down]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] new LAD host ? [was:Re: lad archive down]
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 18:09:49 EEST

Nick Bailey wrote:

> Richard Dobson wrote:
>
> > I have little enthusiasm for sourceforge myself. It seems to have a low
> > content/eye-candy ratio, and from here, the far side of The Pond,
> > hanging off a 56K modem, it can be veeery slooow.
> >
> > Richard Dobson
>
> I've got a couple of projects on sourceforge, and haven't had any probs.
>
> There's nothing wrong with eye candy if what's underneath works, surely?

certainly not. but still, sourceforge sites *are* slow over modem,
and that's where eye candy starts being a problem. this does not
apply to its usability as a mailing list host, though.

> As for VA pulling the plug or whatever, shouldn't be a problem:
> sourceforge is open source isn't it (you can run your own I believe
> although I've not looked in to it too much) You don't have to use all
> that stuff anyway: command-line cvs works just fine.

granted. i think nobody here wants to criticize va linux for
donating huge amounts of bandwidth and hardware to the open-source
community :)

but even among us good guys, monopolies can be bad :-) (if only for
technical reasons: sf is a single point of failure, and if it is
down, half the open source world has a very serious problem).

to get this back on topic, i think sourceforge's services are not
targetted at mailing lists. it's a bonus feature, but sf's focus is
source repositories. (by the way, i doubt you can set up your own
mail server from scratch there. everything seems to be pretty much
pre-configured. i would prefer the hard way ;-)

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany