Re: [linux-audio-dev] Snd

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Snd
From: rm (async_AT_cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 21:28:08 EET

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 05:53:19PM +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> Bill (or anyone), does Snd have those features I suggested months ago,
> or not? Yes, I have read the manual.
>
> Short list of suggested features (check details with me in email):
> -playing around the selection edges in various ways,
> -software volume gain at least up to +64 dB,
> -EDL which doesn't waste user's time in basic editing (as is wasted
> in Sound Forge),
> -recording dropout markings on the waveform (or any reporting at all).

from scanning the manual (haven't used the program) the answers are
probably, yes, yes, and i dunno. additionally, iirc, soundforge has had
cut-lists and play-lists for some time now.

in anycase, you can probably see if any of these features are in an
editor without a manual by downloading and using it for a few minutes.

> It is often said that users can affect the development much better
> and get results much faster in Linux than in other systems, but
> that seems to not be true at all. The first feature listed above
> has been in my wish list for four years now. OK, maybe the new year
> changes the situation.

this is usually said because users, having access to the source, can
put those features in themselves or pay someone to put features in for
them. any of the features you listed above wouldn't be hard to hack
into a program yourself.

                        rob

----
Robert Melby
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: async_AT_cc.gatech.edu