Re: [linux-audio-dev] good intro article on mLAN

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] good intro article on mLAN
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 17:26:59 EET

>I've toyed with trying to get a developers board or mlan mixer expansion
>card from yamaha and writing an alsa driver a couple of times, but I
>don't want to make a bad job of it, and alsa seems extremely complicated.

actually, writing a low-level driver for ALSA is really rather
simple. the nice thing about the design of the whole system is that
despite the level of complexity apparent "at the top", you can write a
low-level (i.e. hw-specific) driver without paying any attention to
all of that - the midlevel kernel code and alsa-lib takes care of that
for you.

at the risk of burning more of my copious free time, i'd be extremely
happy to help out with this effort in any way i can. i was visibly
upset that yamaha has already written an ASIO driver for mLAN; the
kudos and recognition Linux could get if we have an ALSA mLAN driver
ready to go within a short time would be immense. i mean, can you
imagine the implications of running a (working) version of ardour with
mLAN ?

--p