Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT?] any linux problems using a UDMA100 controller card?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT?] any linux problems using a UDMA100 controller card?
From: Chris Baugher (baugher_AT_enteract.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 04:35:37 EET

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Richard Dobson wrote:

> Hello all,
> sorry if this is a bit OT, but since you are all here, as it were:
>
> I plan to add a new 30G UDMA100 hard disk to my current PII system, not
> least so I can install a ~lot~ more Linux stuff (Quasimodo!). As my
> vintage 2-year-old motherboard only supports UDMA33, and there is a
> question whether the new drive will even work at all under Win2k (well,
> I need that too, OK!) I need to get a controller card. Are there any

It isn't really the hard drive you need to worry about, but the
controller. Win2k will not recognize most(any?) ATA66/100 controllers
without a third party driver(from the manufacturer of the controller). I'm
not so sure about Linux but it will probably need a driver as well. Also,
most if not all hard drives and controllers are backwards compatible. So
you can plug an ATA100 drive into an ATA33 controller and it will just
revert back to ATA33 and work fine. The same goes for an ATA100 controller
and an ATA33 drive.
Of course faster is better:)

> known problems with Linux recognising and using such disks using a
> controller in this way? I plan to upgrade Linux itself as part of the
> general revamp, probably to Mandrake 7.2 as I have it here ready to load
> (I am currently on RH6). Is there for example a lowest viable kernel
> version I need to have? Or will it be a simple plugin, connect,
> partition, install Linux and carry-on as usual experience?

This really depends on whether the controller is supported by the kernel
that Mandrake includes in their distribution. You probably want to check
Mandrake's homepage to see what they support.

The 2.4.X kernel definitely has more built-in support for more types of
controllers. If you use 2.2.X you will probably have to patch and
recompile the kernel(not always fun if you are unsure of what you're
doing).

I hope that helps at least a litttle!