Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 22:26:52 EET

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Thomas Guettler wrote:

> I searched for something like this on www.python.org yesterday. I will
> try it as soon as I have time.
[...]
> Would a combination of ardour and midithing give me the possibilty to
> add audio data which I manipulate with effects in realtime?

This doesn't necessarily fit your needs, but I'd still like to mention
pyeca, python API to access ecasound functionality. It comes with the main
ecasound package (ecasound 1.8.5 and newer, not yet in stable releases).
I'm still trying to come up with good marketing phrases, but in short you
can...

- set up a group of inputs and outputs (files, soundcard capture/playback)
- set up effects, LADSPA plugins, gates, etc
- issue start, stop, seek, affecting the above setup
- modify effect params during processing (near-realtime)

... you cannot generate sound data with pyeca (and ecasound in general),
so all audio material must be in files or come from a rt-source such as a
soundcard. Ecasound does have support for aRts (via its C-API), but I'm
not sure how well piping soft-synth output from aRts to ecasound works in
practise. As someone already mentioned, looping and offsetting files
(playing certain audio file at a certain point of time) is possible with
ecasound (using the ewf-format). Hmm, you could say that ecasound is a
'multitrack audio processor', not a 'sw synthesizer' or 'sequencer'.

As for MIDI, you can connect a MIDI-source to a effect parameter, but
you can't generate or interpret MIDI-data using pyeca.

If interested, here's a few links:

- the pyeca API (part of ECI):
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/programmers_guide/eci_doc.html

- pyeca is built on top of Ecasound Interactive Mode (EIAM) commands:
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/ecasound-iam_manpage.html