Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer_AT_cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 18:03:23 EEST

> I don't dislike GNOME because its big. I dislike it because it doesn't

   Err, perhaps people dont understand which part of GNOME GLAME is using
   - GLAME solely uses libgnomeui libgnome and libgnomesupport, it doesnt
   depend on using GNOME as desktop.

I think that's a common confusion -- a lot of people seem to confuse
running a Gnome application with having to run a Gnome desktop, and it
just ain't the same at all. The Gnome libs are under 100 MB, so it's
really not that big a deal.

> seem to me to offer anything to the kind of programs we are writing.
> Can you point to the functionality that GNOME provides for glame?

   libgnomeui provides the canvas widget which is very nice, and stuff
   for common message/error dialogs. Also automated menu and toolbar
   management.

   libgnome (or gnomesupport, dont know) provides a way to store application
   config stuff, also I think the gnome help functionality is hooked there.

Lots of very nice, easy to use stuff there.

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002