Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 18:06:15 EEST

>> Its partly politics
>> (they wanted to provide more reasons for people to use GNOME) and
>> partly development issues (GTK+ was under a feature freeze).
>
>I dont think so.

This is not speculation on my part. I've been told so by people who
work on both GTK+ and GNOME for RH.

>apt-get install gnome-dev
>or
>rpm -i gnomed

Do you know how long this would take on my connection? About 35 times
as long as "cvs -z3 update -dP && make clean && make all && make install".
Thats another reason I like CVS :)

>> XFree86 or even GTK+, it wouldn't be a problem. But as it is, trying
>> to do development of an application against a library base that
>> changes quite often is very difficult.
>
>Yes, so you dont develop against a moving target, but against the
>stable version (we're not building against gtk2.0 f.i.) - or you at
>least dont _depend_ on such libs, but only support them, if available
>(like we do with certain alsa versions or liblameenc to mention two).

Well, even with GNOME, I've run into problems with applications in at
least two areas: imlib seems to change fairly regularly, and just as
regularly breaks applications that were doing funky things, and libxml
has also been subject to many bug "fixes" that periodically break
XML-using code. Thats why I prefer to tell people to "get
libimlib-blah-blah" and "get libxml-foo-foo" than "install GNOME"
because there's no way to know if they'll end up with the libxml that
doesn't properly list all child property nodes under some
circumstances or ...

--p