Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio
From: Phil Burk (philburk_AT_softsynth.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 03:17:10 EEST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <pbd_AT_Op.Net>

> Phil, thanks for the pointer to PA. I'm glad to see that you've also
> adopted a callback model. PA looks quite pleasant to use and not too
> far from part of what LAAGA is aiming at. However, the primary goal of
> LAAGA is to facilitate inter-application data exchange rather than
> just providing a simpler (more portable) layer for interacting with
> audio h/w. Do you have any thoughts on that aspect of things?

Yes. PortAudio and LAAGA are targetting different requirements. PortAudio
was meant to be a simple as possible interface to other audio APIs such OSS
and WMME. Inter-application data exchange was seen as something very useful,
but beyond the scope of PortAudio.

But I could imagine two ways in which PortAudio and LAAGA could complement
each other. LAAGA could call PortAudio for access to actual audio HW. That
would make LAAGA more easily portable to other platforms. Or there could be
an implementation of PortAudio that called LAAGA. Then existing apps that
used PortAudio would be able to connect to each other via LAAGA.

BTW, is this linux-audio-dev mail list just for LAAGA, or is it for Linux
audio development in general?? I don't want to be off-topic if I have OSS or
ALSA or low-latency-patch questions. Thanks.

Phil Burk
JSyn,pForth,DSP,ASIC - http://www.softsynth.com
Portable Audio I/O - http://www.portaudio.com
Interaction Server - http://www.transjam.com