Re: [linux-audio-dev] License Concerns about ladspa.h and GPL programs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] License Concerns about ladspa.h and GPL programs
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 03:30:17 EET

In message <01C0A5B4.619F4CA0_AT_MUSE >you write:
>I agree that GPL is inappropriate. I'd not read the BSD licence before
>Conrad sent it to me - does anyone know legally how it differs from LGPL?

The BSD license would allow third parties to make changes and
extensions to the "library" and release their work under a different
license and/or never release their changes in source form.

The LGPL prevents this. It is a "sticky" license, and it prevents 3rd
parties from making proprietary/private changes that are released only
as binaries.

Of course, since this is only an API, its not totally clear how
appropriate either one is. Maybe "Ask Slashdot" ? :)))

--p