Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?
From: motet_AT_zoom.co.uk
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 14:53:49 EET

Quoting David Burrows <david_AT_emp.net.au>:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Paul Davis wrote:
> *snip*
> > first of all, a "recording studio" can't run on SB cards - they're
> > crap. second, if you want 4 channels of input, you should buy a 4+
> > channel card. there comes a point where the amount of programming
> time
> > spent solving all that hassles related to this problem "costs" (by
> > some metric) far more than appropriate h/w.
> >
> > you should be counting programmer time as worth at least US$30/hr
> even
> > if you don't actually pay them. solving this problem reliably,
> > especially *outside* of ALSA or OSS, will take a reasonable
> programmer
> > at least 4 hours to get right in a robust fashion. there, i just
> > "gave" you an extra $120 to spend on a decent soundcard :)
> >
> > --p
>
> One minor factor perhaps overlooked, is that extra $120 would go
> towards
> only one sound card, whereas syncing cheap sh*t sound blasters would
> benefit a significant number of unfortunate people who can't afford
> real
> sound hardware? =)

thats *precisely* why we want to do this. there isnt even
money to get a $120 sound card (and believe me, in the UK,
multi input soundcards are an awful lot more expensive than
that, try 200 UKP minimum!) . we also think that this might
well benefit the linux community if we can actually get it to
work :o)

> Of course this just opens me up to: "Well why don't you do it then?".
> Maybe I would, seeming as I just have to give my SB Live back and I have
> heap of Sound Blasters laying around. My guess is, its not easy.

yes, that's very much my attitude... i know its going to be
difficult... but thats half the fun! ;o)

> Hows this for an idea. Removing the frequency generator from the
> "slave"
> soundcards, and some how rigging them up to the "master" sound card so
> they're all driven from the same clock.

thanks... we'll look into it :o))

> You know, MacGuyver style. ;)

yes... thats just the sorta thing we're doing really! ;o))

cheers, and
thanks for your support

miriam

miriam_AT_iriXx.org