Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen_AT_wgcr.org)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 05:16:39 EET

On Sunday 28 October 2001 12:47 pm, you wrote:
> >Again, if I could do transparent region editing in the CEP multitrack
> > mode, with undo stacks allocated per-region, (working on a copy of the
> > original

> why per-region? what difference does that make? this is *important* to
> me **right now** ...

I would like to undo per region so that....-- suppose I have two regions, A
and B. Region A, to oversimplify, needs filtering to some extent, and region
B needs compression, amongst other things. Time compression, maybe, to
beat-sync the regions. Now, I slide the regions to where I need alignment,
and apply the time-compression to region B. Then I apply my filter to region
A. I then apply compression to B, then realize that I've overdone the
filtering on A. I want to undo the filter while leaving the compression (and
timebase shift) in place. Thus, each region ideally should have independent
undo stacks.

> >audio track file -- but that's a different gripe) I would be in radio
> >production heaven.

> Good. Pack your bags. Ardour will take you there in a month or two.

Hmmm. There was something about ardour I didn't like, but I forget what it
was right off.... (access website) Oh, yeah -- Red Hat's broken compiler
issue. I use RH 7.2, and have for some time (beta tester here). 7.2 ships
the gcc that doesn't exist (2.96-98). Any experience with that? What about
the Official GCC 3.0 (which RHL 7.2 includes)?

Also, as RPM maintainer for the PostgreSQL Global Development Group, I am
used to difficult build procedures, but, pardon the pun, this one is
ardourous.... And I make it policy to install from RPM whenever possible so
that security updates are more easily accomplished -- especially on my
intranet and internet servers for WGCR, where I may not be the one doing the
updates (due to sickness or whatnot).

For that matter, I can even do ardour RPM's, along with all the dependencies,
at some point, when I get time to do so.

Other than that, ardour is getting closer, from what I've read, to what I
need. Now if ALSA only did Layla, which I have...

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio