Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 19:47:21 EET

>However, you hit the nail on the head when you say '...have appropriate gain
>and other FX applied....' -- in my experience, determining the appropriate
>FX levels and gains, etc, involves lots of test-mixes -- which, at least, CEP
>will do a real-time monitor mixdown in multitrack mode. Audio editing, as I
>am sure you are aware :-) is not a WYSIWYG or even WYHIWYG enviroment, as
>what looks like something that will sound good won't necessarily really sound
>good. And an edit/FX/adjustment on one 'clip/region/block' might sound very
>good or even great when listened to in single-track edit mode, and sound like
>junk in the context of the mix.

What I wrote was intended to describe a situation where FX were
applied within the overall mix (multitrack context). Sorry this wasn't
clear.

>Again, if I could do transparent region editing in the CEP multitrack mode,
>with undo stacks allocated per-region, (working on a copy of the original

why per-region? what difference does that make? this is *important* to
me **right now** ...

>audio track file -- but that's a different gripe) I would be in radio
>production heaven.

Good. Pack your bags. Ardour will take you there in a month or two.

>ProTools is pretty close to what I need, but not there yet. CEP is what I
>have, though.

Sounds to me as though ProTools could do all that you describe.

--p