Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen_AT_wgcr.org)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 05:28:26 EET

On Sunday 28 October 2001 12:47 pm, you wrote:
> >audio track file -- but that's a different gripe) I would be in radio
> >production heaven.

> Good. Pack your bags. Ardour will take you there in a month or two.

Oh, almost forgot: I also do long-form editing. The ability to handle a 1GB
audo clip is also nice..... :-)

I guess I need to explain that one. We get programs here on CD that we rip
to HD all the time. The problem is that our time slot for one the programs
in question is longer than the programs they send -- by a factor of four. So
we merge four programs into one, with our own lockout at the end (and we have
the producer's permission, too).

Then there's the one program that we overlay the promo halfway through the
program (again, with permission) with our own PSA or promo instead of the
producer's.

Everything is automated, and off the HD here -- and CEP has made it all
possible.

I know a 'do-it-all' program is not necessarily desirable, but....

The one other common editing task I do is remastering of live LP vinyl. I
use CEP to do the recording, normalize, process, denoise, depop, etc. I then
pull over a neat hack called CDWAV that does the track splitting, on CD block
boundaries, so that I can then burn DAO and retain the continuous 'live
album' flow. I'm not expecting ardour to do all of this (although it would
be nice) -- but I have yet to find a program even remotely like CDWAV under
Linux. Know anyone developing such a beast? :-)

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio