Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler
From: Michael J McGonagle (fndsnd_AT_rcnchicago.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 19:11:54 EET

Michael J McGonagle wrote:

> > I have not installed the intel compiler yet, but hope to try it
> > tomorrow. Thanks,
>
> Well, I tried to install the version (red hat 7.x) and it told me that
> "This install does not recognize your computers hardware architechture."
> I am trying to download the other version to see if it will install.

Hello all,

Just thought that I would let you know that I got the Intel compiler to
install, run, and compile code. Basically, I went into the install
script and changed the 'i386' reference to 'i586' (thanks to Tom
Browne). (Just to remind you, I am running Mandrake which compiled to
586 machines, and RedHat compiled to 386).

I also tried to compile some 'sfront'-generated c-code with 'icc' and
everything (with the exception of the shorter examples) ran quite a bit
faster with the Intel compiler. As one example, the piece 'elpelele' has
a runtime of about 9' 53" on my machine when compiled with 'gcc', using
'icc' the runtime is about 6' 20".

Sorry, if this is getting even more off-topic...

Mike