Re: [linux-audio-dev] off topic, optical protocols

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] off topic, optical protocols
From: Nick Bailey (n.j.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 10:56:42 EET

actuallyt you can get digital microponones: they measure the
displacement of the diaphram by counting fringes on a laser
interferometer, so there never is an analogue signal (except
the physical movement of the membrane itself).

Damned if I can find a reference to it now... I hope it
wasn't an April Fools' Day joke 8-)

I think there may be switched-mode audio power amplifiers
too, but I doubt they will ever be HiFi compared with high
end linear designs.

N/