Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio Live Use

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio Live Use
From: Kevin Conder (kconder_AT_interaccess.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 12:31:26 EEST

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Scott Kellogg wrote:

> There are various products (Reaktor, Nord Modular, MAX/MSP) that would be
> suited to this task, but I would like to understand what is happening at a
> very low level and have that inform my creative process.
>
> Is anyone on this list doing this sort of thing? I would love to hear from
> you.

        It depends what you mean by low-level. If you're completely new
and don't know that the term "Butterworth second-order IIR filter" means
yet, then I'd suggest starting with these books as an overview:

        _The Computer Music Tutorial_ by Curtis Roads:

        _Computer Music: Synthesis, Composition, and Performance_ by
Charles Dodge and Thomas A. Jerse:

        When you're ready to start DSP programming, I'd start with
_Understanding Digital Signal Processing_ by Richard G. Lyons:

        If that's not low-level enough for you then check out the book
reviews from the music-dsp list. Hopefully, you'll find something else
that you like:
        http://shoko.calarts.edu/~glmrboy/musicdsp/dspbooks.html

        You are aware that Reaktor, Nord Modular, and MAX/MSP are
commercial programs that AFAIK aren't available for Linux, aren't you?
There are alternatives available (that include source code for your
low-level exploration). These alternatives are...

        Csound:
        http://www.csounds.com

        jMax:
        http://www.ircam.fr/equipes/temps-reel/jmax/en/index.html

        PD:
        http://www.pure-data.org/

        sfront:
        http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/sfman/index.html

        Hope you find this information helpful.

-- Kevin Conder, kevin_AT_kevindumpscore.com