Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 19:20:03 EEST

>On Sun, 12 May 2002, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 May 2002, Likai Liu wrote:
>>
>> > Please consider my proposal for array extension of the LADSPA:
>>
>> As the one who encouraged to "show the code", I feel obliged to give at
>> least some feedback, but I'm afraid it's not very positive this time. The
>> proposal itself looks fine, but I'm not sure how much interest this gets
>> from developers of current LADSPA hosts.
>>
>> For instance ecasound's own plugin system (on top of which LADSPA plugins
>> are mapped) doesn't support arrays, so it would be a major change to add
>> support for this feature. On the other hand ecasound already has a
>> mechanisms in place for representing envelopes (sequences of control data
>> changes) and large parameter sets (ecasound plugins can change their
>> parameter interface dynamically during runtime).
>>
>> So this is my view on the issue. Let's see what other people think...
>
>Speaking for GLAME the issues are similar - envelopes are handled as
>separate stream of data. So this LADSPA extension does not make sense
>to me.

And speaking for Ardour, we don't handle envelopes per se, but
automation data, which is a kind of envelope only applicable to any
and every plugin parameter, are handled by the host, not the plugin,
so likewise, the extension is not of much interest per se.

Its clear why you want it: compressor/limiter type plugins as well as
synths need parameters like this. The best way to represent them for
now is an n-point curve. This doesn't solve the automated GUI
presentation issue, but that's what LCP is for ...

--p