Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 17:11:09 EEST

>However there is still the question of how to actually define the
>bindings. In the case of the almost photorealistic GUI of the bristol
>synths, there should not be any additional buttons for MIDI bindings.
>So what about this: Define a key (e.g. 'M') to toggle between normal
>operation and MIDI definition mode of bristol. In MIDI definition mode the
>user can select a GUI element by moving or clicking on it. The event loop
>will store the last GUI element that has sent an event in a variable
>called e.g. selected_midi_gui_object. Now the user can move the MIDI
>controller of his MIDI master keyboard or MIDI controller box. this will
>the bind this controller to selected_midi_gui_object.
>Another possibility would be to define bindings by right-clicking on the
>GUI element while moving the controller of the MIDI controller box.

All of my audio/MIDI apps use the following convention: ctrl-click
(mnemonic: "control this") the GUI control element (slider, knob,
whatever). this then gives you 30 seconds to cause a MIDI CC or
NoteOn/NoteOff message to be delivered to the program. the first one
received will cause a binding between the message and the control
element. the GUI remains active as a control element. Since my code is
always Model-View-Controller compliant, moving the MIDI controller
moves the GUI controller as well.

I use SigC++ to listen for all MIDI events; its basically a
callback-registration system on steroids, or maybe on zoloft.

--p