Re: [linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 17:13:43 EEST

>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1476753
>> should be the right thread.
>>
>> i don't think anything concrete was decided. please read all replies
>> before flaming.
>
>I've read all the replies and I'm still not flaming.
>
>I am also a developer whos had devoted considerable time and resources
>to GPL software and would also like to find some way for this to put
>bread on the table.

to be slightly more precise: my concern was not over whether ardour
would or would not be able to put bread on the table. my concern was
over the possibility that somebody else (presumably with an
established name and a significant marketing budget/team) could derive
revenue from ardour that would not flow to me and/or others involved
with ardour. if nobody ever makes a penny from ardour, thats OK with
me (though it means i'll have to do something else in a year in order
to survive). what i don't like is the prospect that a 3rd party that
has had nothing to do with ardour or any of the libraries that it uses
(including Erik's) could leverage income from our work.

i have been reasonably convinced that the chances of this are slim
(though not zero). however, ardour is an application, and entirely
different concerns arise for people who write libraries.

to make clear the final conclusion from the ardour-dev discussion: the
only possible license change i was considering was the Aladdin
license, which gives the same rights as the GPL except for the right
to redistribute the software for a fee ("selling"). however, ardour
will remain GPL for the foreseeable future.

--p